Monday, October 1, 2018

LEYLA IŞIK



LEYLA IŞIK

AH ASYA (I)

Hile swinging from one side to the other,
anchored in the darkness of the night, her naked body would make love to the drunk time.
Rough horsemen would ride on her vast hills,
as if they had triumphed from first to last . . .
After every triumph, in her big almond eyes her rains would well up into the bitter of blue
with her black destiny,
And every spring, Asya's branches would come into bloom
With the purple bunches blooming for bitter in nooks.
She wouldn't see the wounded seagulls flying to their freedom.
Her locked lips would keep silent towards inside of her.
She would keep silent to the oceans all around.
Whereas Asya . . .
was a continent fully stretched out to love.

TRANSLATED BY BAKI YIĞIT







BODILESSLY     

      -In the very heart of the night, my heart flutters. It finds its tongue like telling an old fairy tale. 
        I paint your undeniable presence on the walls with its most beautiful colors.-

Where the night has withdrawn
When the moon has wrapped the beach without you in its light
When in the whispers of the wind
When waving goodbye to the impossible
After the ship outgoing
That very night
The mirror that took my face out of my hands
Had sunk into the deep waters of reunion.

Now on the same sea
We are two timid alone. . .
In the downpour of the memories
Our skins wake from sleep.
Our voices wander in space,
And interlace bodilessly.


İzmir, 14th August 2011, the hour when you are absent.
 
TRANSLATED BY BAKI YIĞIT






FREE  OUT OF SPITE

How free you are,
Free out of spite.
I could not yet break
The iron bars inside of me.
I'm enslaved by love,
Perhaps by fear.
I’ve wrapped myself in lonelinesses.
How free you are,
Free out of spite
In that endless blueness of the sky.
I could not yet unlock
The fetters inside of me.
Whenever I felt love
I wrapped myself in lonelinesses.
The sunlight abandoned me
In the dump wells,
And went away.
Unable to leave lonelinesses,
I could not tell time to stop,
Time that races against wind.
The hopes rusted and faded inside me.
Oh! You don’t know how I miss
Becoming free like you,
Free out of spite,
Eluding fear
And leaving lonelinesses in the dump wells. . .

TRANSLATED BY BAKI YIĞIT

LEYLA IŞIK
  TURKEY      







No comments :

Post a Comment