Monday, January 1, 2024

LISELLE POWDER

 



Broken Toys

 

I sat there and stared at my granddaughter’s broken toys

Some could be fixed, and some can’t.

The ones that can’t be fixed is to be thrown away.

Just like that? Not even trying to fix it.

Just like human, me? Can I be fixed

even if I am broken?

I am a broken toy too; I don’t want to be discarded.

I want to be loved and cherish like a brand-new toy.

I want to be hugged and squeezed.

No No No!! I want to be fixed, but will I allow myself

to be fixed or sent to the dumps.

Will I cry in anguish with the fixing.

Will I say stop when the screws are being screwed in or

the needle that is used to stich up my scars.

To stich up the brokenness of my tired heart.

That I didn’t care for and gave to someone that I thought was real.

Why can’t some broken toys be fixed, and others can?

Is the pain so difficult to see, but

how can I be fixed when pieces of the puzzle are missing?

When pieces of me is missing?

But like broken toys, they don’t cry when they are being fixed.

They take the pain in silence.

But I am not sure what I want, because of my thinking

it’s so low just like the broken toy no drive to go.

A broken toy is what I will always be.

If I do decide, will you fix me?

 

Open Doors

 

My name is passing through because I like to see all that I can see.

You let me in, and I welcomed myself.

I love to settle myself and get comfortable.

I don’t have to know you; I just want what I came for and leave.

I am not your friend just a picky eater.

Ha ha it’s so funny that people don’t seem to care who they let in.

I am no stranger to the modern world.

I create the atmosphere with the right ingredients.

I love doors that are easy and don’t have bolts,

The ones that can be easily picked.

I see danger from afar, and I smile.

That’s how I choose my meal.

I am like the bad storm that people run from.

With me you can’t hide, you must abide.

Once I get in the party has started.

Too late now no one can save you.

Enjoy the ride, the temptation is great.

Open wide and taste my bait.

 

The Floor Will Hold You Back

 

You just lay there and think that it happens like that.

You lay on your back and enjoy nothing.

You cry but the tears afraid to fall,

because no one will catch them.

Just like you, who is catching you?

The floor don’t have hands to push you up.

You can’t stand and can’t grow if you

just lay on your back.

There’s no will power, there’s no fight.

Your shadows don’t even like you.

They try to get away from you,

because they saw your unworthiness.

They are afraid to come near you.

Just keep still and let your life feed from the ground.

 

LISELLE POWDER

 

LISELLE POWDER was born in the small Caribbean Island of Trinidad and Tobago. Born to Edwina Warner (deceased) and Bindley Powder. She is the last of six siblings. She is divorced and a mother of two daughters and a granddaughter. Having migrated to the US in 2014, she decided to write poetry about her experiences coming to America. She met with Edna White an Author, and the rest was history. Liselle has written in Edna’s book “No Sweet Meat Tell Me the Truth” and contribute to the school newspaper where she works. Liselle held her first poetry show on July 10th, 2021, she also writes in Ms. Edna’s Magazine called “SPEAK MAGAZINE.” and wrote her first short story titled “Teenage Mom” and her poetry book titled “Still Overcoming”. Her short story “Teenage Mom” together with other short stories, is a combination by different authors coming together for the Anthology “Women Write Now” which was launched in November in 2022. With her continuous writing, she was entered in an Anthology for the months of June, July and November of 2020, also June and July of 2021, and for July 2022. Liselle was awarded the Cheryl R Canton Incentive and the Willie Henry Riddick Memorial Award in June 2021, for winning an essay competition placing first. Liselle wrote another book entitled “Welcome to America,” which is on Amazon. Liselle is also an artist and has also sold some of her work. Liselle was honored and one of her poems was chosen for Black Poetry Day, in October 2022., and the reviews was excellent. Liselle will be honored in August and September at a gala ceremony for her contribution to writing. Liselle hopes one day to have her first Art Show soon. Liselle has come a long way and she strives to be the best of top poets and artist the world is yet to see.


No comments :

Post a Comment