Tuesday, August 1, 2023

PARAMITA MUKHERJEE MULLICK

 


Music In The Air

 

A nightingale sings from the banyan tree.

The sparrows chirp and the crows caw.

The parrots fleet with their sweet screech.

An eagle up there whistles with joy.

I the mere mortal wallow in the music.

The music in the air wafts past me.

Making me happy amidst the human sea.

The sunbirds tweet in the palm trees.

The leaves whisper a merry song.

The waters laugh and gurgle.

The monotonous sound adds to the wonder.

The silver bills chirp and the butterflies flutter.

There is music in the air all around.

And therein happiness abounds.

 

Make Believe

 

The little boy was playing in the garden.

Cycled a while and then sat down.

Looked around and didn’t know what to do.

He sat quietly with a childish frown.

He looked up at the foliage around him.

Opened his water bottle and took it to a leaf.

He pretended to fill water from the bent leaf.

The leaves rustled in the breeze.

His frown melted, he looked up with joy.

That moment in my mind did freeze.

The boy interacted with nature.

The foliage and the birds became his friend.

He sang with the birds and twirled with the leaves.

The joy of make believe has no end.

 

Harmonium

 

I took out my harmonium from the box.

Kept it on my bed and dusted it.

Played the harmonium and sang.

The notes were the same but the emotions were different.

The words were the same but their feelings were different.

This harmonium of my childhood with German reeds.

So many memories surrounding it.

So much love embedded in it.

My mother’s melodious voice singing along with us.

My father’s happy eyes encouraging us.

No more of my mother’s touch on the harmonium.

No more of my father’s encouragement.

Now I am all alone with the harmonium,

 

PARAMITA MUKHERJEE MULLICK

 

Dr. PARAMITA MUKHERJEE MULLICK lives in Mumbai, India. She is a scientist, a poet, an organiser and an editor. She believes in poetry which shows humans light in darkness and love in hatred. Her tenth book is soon to be released. Her poems have been translated into 40 languages and have been widely published in Indian and international journals and anthologies. Paramita promotes peace, multilingual, global and indigenous poetry. She has been blessed with numerous awards for her poetry. She is the President and Initiator of the Mumbai Chapter of IPPL and the Cultural Convenor and Literary Coordinator (West India) of ISISAR.

 

 

No comments :

Post a Comment