Friday, March 1, 2024

KAMARUDEEN MUSTAPHA

 



Freedom For All

 

Our world could have been a paradise

And our paradigms could have been pure paradisiacal

Had we let freedom be our forte

 

How happy could the world have been

And how beautiful too

If no selfish interest haunts the freedom range

 

We could have climbed the heavens

We could have reached our potential

The haven our Maker willed

If we had not learnt

How to bridge others' times and boons

To enlarge our own largess

 

Imagine the type of world

We could have inherited

If every slave from yore and years

Had used his time and talent

To give the world his creative synergy

 

A man is not a man

When he is yoked and made to plough

A blindfolded acre

No unhappy beast can conceive a perfect joy

For another man to enjoy

Every man that had ever been bond

Every man that had ever been bought and sold

Has never flourished a whiff of fragrance

As a token to his world

For he was and is never of this world

That objectifies him a chattel

 

The world could have been a better place

Had we allowed all men

The freedom to stretch his wings

To the farthest east and west

Had we allowed his head

To wear the crown of stars in the sky

And the gears of colorful rainbows too

 

Had we not held him tight

To the shackles of shame

We invent to unman him

Had we allowed him to echo

The truth he has discovered

Through the searchlight

Nature has deposited in him

 

For every man has a truth to gift our world

Had we gifted the world

Freedom for all

 

I Will Not Compromise My Freedom

 

I will not compromise my freedom

Even if your bondage is made of all allures

Even if your shackles are wrought of all previous gems

Freedom is the quality of man

 

Man is made outside the nine-month confinement

Inside his mother, cloyed by her warmth

He wasn't a man then, he wasn't free

Until he broke out a baby

Born into this endless space of freedom

 

Leave me to be me!

Foe even He who made me doesn't impose

He allows me the freedom to choose my ways

Even when not His ways, He looks away

 

Therefore, don't foist on me the zombie, your pervert mind contrived

I can never be your base creation

I am a super being, a creation of freedom

 

You are a man, just like me,

Never in anything you are my better

Only we are given different charges

Yours is not mine, mine differs from yours

But the objective is one, to make the world a better place

 

I am a man so unique from others you know

Far better therefore than the depraved flunky you have in mind

The One who made me made you too

And never to be your stooge

 

He that you made you unmade

From the champion he is made divinely to be

You put the clogs into him when you had him remade

To be but a dupe to your selfish inklings

 

He flounders through the world a bitter being

Brimming biles and exhaling venoms

He hates you who had him so remoulded

He despises you who had him so repressed

He loathes himself more for being your stooge

For he knows he was created to be free

Able to pick his ways and win the heavens

 

Freedom Bird

 

Freedom bird

Climbing the air, with wings alluring

Freedom bird

Riding the air, with fleeting little feet

I can hear your happiness

 Enthusing the world

Scenting our beings

 

Freedom bird so bold

Freedom bird so happy

Lend me your wings of liberty

I want to ride the air as oft you do

Give me your wonderful flapping

I want to soar the world with you

So free and so happy!

 

I want your world

Freedom bird

I want your world

Bird of truth

I want your world

Your world of free range

Your world of free ranging

Your world of free rangers

Your world of no boundaries

Your world of no taboos.

Where nothing is forbidden and none censured

 

KAMARUDEEN MUSTAPHA

 

KAMARUDEEN MUSTAPHA is a Nigerian writer who writes across genres. His poems and short stories are published in various online and offline platforms. Three of his children’s books, two novellas "Winners Never Quit" and "Born to Rule" and a poetry volume "An Onion of Many Layers" are in the current approved list for students in junior secondary schools in Oyo State, Nigeria.


No comments :

Post a Comment