Sunday, August 1, 2021

DONNA MCCABE IN CONVERSATION WITH NILAVRONILL

 

NILAVRONILL TALKING WITH

POET OF THE MONTH

DONNA MACCABE

AUGUST 2022



NILAVRONILL: Why do literature and poetry in particular interest you so much? Please give us some idea about your own perception of literature or poetry in general.

 

DONNA MCCABE:  I have always had a strong love of reading and writng for as long as I can remember, I don't think I could imagine a life without it,it's ingrained in my very being. Growing up I always surrounded by books and loved the escapism and insights they offered, I'm still the same today.

 

 

NILAVRONILL: How do you relate your own self existence with your literary life in one hand, and the time around you, in the other.

 

DONNA MCCABE: I make the most of each day as it comes, being a full time mum and wife life can get pretty busy and hectic. As a poet I am always observant, searching and looking for ideas that might inspire and ignite my imagination. A pen and notebook is always close to hand.

 

 

NILAVRONILL: Do you believe creative souls flourish more in turmoil than in peace?

 

DONNA MCCABE: I have written in both scenarios and I do think turmoil can be a strong source of creativity to a person, giving them an outlet to express, confront and deal with situations they might not otherwise want to. It can be a floodgate of creativity as well as a healing process I have found.

 

 

NILAVRONILL: Do you think in this age of information and technology the dimensions of literature have been largely extended beyond our preconceived ideas about literature in general?

 

DONNA MCCABE: There will always be people out there who have a love and passion for and of literature and I think that it will always find ways to adapt to these times we live in what with online accessibility, but you can never beat a good old book. I do think that technology has become more of an essential part of a writer’s life these days too, there are so many more platforms in which to promote one’s self globally in an instant. It played a massive fundamental role through the pandemic last year, keeping the people around the world connected in what was a dark and isolating time.

 

 

NILAVRONILL: Now, in this changing scenario we would like to know from your own life experiences as a poet, writer and a creative soul: How do you respond to this present time?

 

DONNA MCCABE: I think everyone including myself is trying to adjust to this new way of living. It would be lovely to return to something somewhat similar to how we lived before but I think we have to face facts that life will never be quite the same again. I have continued writing right through these changing times and have seen a lot of great and artistic work emerge from it. The written word has lived on despite the pandemic.

 

 

NILAVRONILL: Do you believe that all writers are by and large the product of their nationality? And is this an incentive for or an obstacle against becoming a truly international writer?

 

DONNA MCCABE: I think we as writers do make references to our cultures, heritage and places we grew up in at times, but we also explore the wider world around us, especially as we grow and mature in life and our craft.

 

 

NILAVRONILL: Now, if we try to understand the tradition and modernism, do you think literature can play a pivotal role in it?  If so, how? Again, how can an individual writer relate himself or herself to the tradition and to modernism?

 

DONNA MCCABE: I think every literary movement has evolved and developed from the previous one and will continue to change with the times, even these fast passed times that we live in today.

 

 

NILAVRONILL: Do you think literary criticism has much to do with the development of a poet and the true understanding of his or her poetry?

 

DONNA MCCABE: Criticism of a person’s work can be constructive even negative ones. They can help a writer take into consideration things that help them become better at their craft, stimulating them and increasing their self-esteem. I think we as writers can also be our own worst critics at times too, I know I can.

 

 

NILAVRONILL: Do you think society as a whole is the key factor in shaping you up as a poet, or your poetry altogether?

 

DONNA MCCABE: Yes, I do, I think that in my poetry I have written about the society around me many times.

 

 

NILAVRONILL: Do you think people in general actually bother about literature?  Do you think this consumerist world is turning the average man away from serious literature?

 

DONNA MCCABE: Society and the world at large has become caught up in this fast paste digital age of consumerism and has been pulled away from literature to an extent but I think there will always be that majority out there that will fight and preserve it for future generations.

 

 

NILAVRONILL: We would like to know the factors and the peoples who have influenced you immensely in the growing phase of your literary life.

 

DONNA MCCABE: My mum was a big influence during my childhood, surrounding me with a wide variety of wonderful books. Always encouraging me in reading, reading to me and with me. I have always loved writing and seriously started around 2001 with the encouragement of close friends and family.

 

 

NILAVRONILL: How would you evaluate your contemporaries and what are your aspirations for or expectation from the younger generation?

 

DONNA MCCABE: I do believe there a great many talented writers out there carrying the poetic touch and if a person has a love and passion for the craft, it is easily and readily available be it in books or online.

 

 

NILAVRONILL: Humanity has suffered immensely in the past, and is still suffering around the world. We all know it well. But are you hopeful about our future?

 

DONNA MCCABE: After seeing what the pandemic done to society and the world at large I think it pushed us more into a more virtually dependent world being isolated in our homes for such long periods of time. I do think sometimes that humanity has lost its way, we're to caught up in "progress for the sake of progress" we forget to stop and look at the beauty we're surrounded by and appreciate what we have right now. I would love to hope we can have a happier and brighter future.

 

 

NILAVRONILL: What role can literature in general play to bring a better day for every human being?

 

DONNA MCCABE: I think that literature should be encouraged so much especially to the up-and-coming generations. By being introduced and reading wide varieties of good books children learn to develop so many vital insights and skills in life. If you don't read you don't think, don’t stretch the imagination, don’t have access to knowledge.

 

 

DONNA MCCABE is an established poet with over 20 years’ experience whose vast variety of work has gained her multiple accolades within her field of literature.  From being published in journals, magazines and anthologies as well as being a highly respected admin in multiple social media groups, her most recent works of merit would include The Writers and Readers' Magazine, Our Poetry Archive,Raven Cage Zine and featuring in a book published by Poetry Planet called Words in Motion and Who's who of Emerging Writers 2021. Donna's intricate wordplay displayed in her works has been personified by her past and concurrent experiences which include her hardships, trials and tribulations. All of which she has been accompanied by her loving husband of 24 years. Together they have raised three children in the picturesque valleys of the Rhondda, South Wales.  Her lifetime admiration of reading and writing has steered her into a adventurous new direction of collaborations with an up and coming Canadian artist Alla Ilescu whose idiosyncratic mind and artistic works compliment the vivid images Donna's narrative works paint. These collaborations have resulted in a beautiful book of poetry and artwork entitled “Explosion Of Love” published on Amazon earlier this year.

 

 

No comments :

Post a Comment