Thursday, February 1, 2018

APRILLA ZANK


APRILLA ZANK

READING THE SIGNS

I levitate above my bed
with all those dogs clinging to my feet
eyeless, toothless, headless
the blue flowers on my white
bed sheets burst red
the fishermen around the fire
read the future in dingy scales

I walk these bare streets
dragging words behind me
heavy like carcasses
crying, listen! listen!
but I hear no echo
just a flattering of wings
behind barred windows

I climb the walls of my bunker
pull at roots, filaments and fur
choke with the smell of burning flesh
cover my eyes with barbed wire
aghast at seeing the signs
branded on the festering cortex
of an army of mutants






MIST

spreads
over the city
heading toward twilight
lingers on trees
like lint
on wounded soldiers
blinds the street lamps
deludes the late home comer
veils lovers' embrace
in the softness of solitude
dampens the prophecy
of the owl's cry
entwines around the breast
with impatient limbs
closes eyes
drifts over the skin
caresses lips
creeps into the brain
blurs the pattern of cells
mutates synapses
dissipates
in spasms of light






DEAD BIRD ON THE ROOF

there is a dead bird
on the glass roof
of the shopping mall
a grey shadow
in a pool of red

beneath
life pulsates
in flashing neon lights
alluring voices
praise the next-to-nothing prices
for ultimate bliss
eternal youth sparkles
from opaline skin repair jars
girls in pairs
cast side glances
at older boys
or wealth promising elderly

food courts brim with
disposable plates, cups, cutlery
dead pigs, chickens, fish
mayonnaise, mustard, custard
chop suey, cevapcici,
Chinese, Lebanese, Japanese

while sipping long drinks
youngsters fumble with smart phones
send requests
exchange smiles and smileys
search for an easy chance
to insert their chromosomes
with no particular purpose


APRILLA ZANK




2 comments :

  1. Each poem a master piece dear Aprilia, written with great sensitivity! On a re-read, I found 'Dead Bird on the Roof' having a slight edge over the others for its sheer imagery!!! Kudos and respects, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your appreciation, dear Paddy. Your opinions mean a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete