Thursday, October 1, 2026

LEYLA IŞIK

 



My Mother Smelled Of Basil

 

My mother smelled of basil,

like mornings touched by soil,

quiet, patient, and a little weary...

 

A breeze slipping through a half-open window

would bring her voice first,

then the summer lingering in her hair,

and the life multiplying in her hands.

 

When I was a child,

I did not know that scents could carry memories

now, in every basil leaf,

my mother's silence grows.

 

Whenever I leave time forgotten

at the edge of a flowerpot,

it begins to bloom again within me,

for some mothers never truly leave;

they simply hide among fragrances.

 

And with every breath I take,

I become a little more a child,

a little more incomplete

my mother smelled of basil.

©Leyla Işık

 

My Childhood

 

Always a dead-beat evening descends on my heart.

My childhood days do appear in front of my eyes.

Life seems to be a several act play

Staged in various places

In various times.

Where you can find that naivety,

That feeling of sadness inside me?

As if I got lost inside deep feelings

There started a panic

A fear inside me

I could not make out of the fact

Whether I am in control of life, or else who is?

While getting into bed every night with dreams,

Life used to be a blessed orchard where I blossomed

Now I am yearning for it

How odd it is…

My childhood days I stretched out and grew taller.

My years passed secretly inside a box

I had my fears though for the box to be stolen

And that’s why I could not open

My childhood painted in green,

Which I hid it with caution

In order to live it again.

©Leyla Işık

 

English Translation by Mesut Şenol

 

LEYLA IŞIK

LEYLA IŞIK: Educator-Poet-Writer-Artist-Painter. She graduated from Teacher Training College in Usak and Faculty of Education of Eskisehir Anadolu University. She had worked as a teacher for many years. She, Vice President of KIBATEK and International Organization and Project Coordinator, organized the 31st,34 th, 39th, 40 th, 42 nd, 44 the KIBATEK International Litrary Festivals and attended India World Poetry Festival organized by Pentasy B in Hydarabadand “Golden Word” International Literary Festival in Uzbekistan. Her Awards:2003 - İksder-İzmir Culture and Art Association "Halikarnas Fisher CevatŞakir" First Prize Poetry Award, 2008 – Şaire Mehseti Gencevi (MŞM) Honorary Diploma on behalf of Azerbaijani Baku Poet Mesheti Genjevi for Serving Turkish World Literature. 2013 – Atilla İlhan Friendship and Fidelity Medallion from Platform of Love Izmir 2015 - World Young Writers Association (DGTYB) Literary Award, 2016 - Rumen Dialect, Poetry, Art, Literature Platform International Literature, Friendship and Peace Prize. 2017-Pablo Neruda Cultural Association” Neruda Award 2017”award- Italy Pablo Neruda Cultural Association” Representative for Turkey of Pablo- Neruda-Italy Honorary Member of Italian Cultural Association Pablo Neruda Chief Representative of the World Notation Writers ‘union in Turkey-Kazakhstan  Hyderabad India World Poetry Festival Pentasi B 2017 "Inspirational poetry" award Fellowship Certificate-Fellow of the Regal world of Scribes (FRWS) India World Poetry Festival “Writers Corner - Warangal Medal”  India World Poetry Festival Writers Corner Warangal “The Enchanting Muse Award" World Nations Writers “Union Kazakhstan “Pride of the Globe-2017, WNWU” in Response to exceptional commitment and devotion to literature 2018-OPA-Poetry Archive’s Assignment of Publication  OPA Our Poetry Archive featured poet of the month March. World Award in Literature - 2018, WNWU 2019-Motivational strips “AMBASSADOR DE LITERATURE 2020-Peruvian Union "Literary Excellent Award" Hispanom Dial De Escritores, Motivation           Strips, World Nations Writers Union Chile Diploma and Certificate of Honor Romania International Academy of Arts and Letters Certificate Morocco "International Creativity and Humanity Certificate" India / Daman "World Illustrated Poetry Forum" Grand Woman Poet Award for great success in high virtue assessment


No comments :

Post a Comment