Sunday, May 1, 2022

GIGI MEJRI

 



Farewell

 

Oh! my tree with the frilled costume

And sweet tickling perfume

Since you unveiled your beauty

My life resumed its glee

***

Your height anchored my eyes

And hope allied with my days

Time rode quiet and smooth

For moaning wounds to soothe

***

Black pitched from my thought

Dissolved and turned rosy

Pink spread itself with no alloy

And spring sprang with no fault

***

The sun cupped my all

And I shone by night.

My cup half-full

Smiled with delight

***

Clouds bid farewell,

Poured their heart

Into streams on the ground

For more brighter days.

*

 

2

 

Living twice

Between my feelings

Thoughts and words

I sensed conspiracy

Then the private

Was dragged.

****

I became a reader

Lagging behind

An intimacy

Turned public, for you and for me

****

And I allowed the mind

To toss the dice,

And again

I felt the imagery and lived twice

****

I saw released feelings

In harmony

hugging a deferred dream

That became true

****

And I enjoyed the scene

Of a shared poem

That no more

Belongs to me.

*

 

3

 

What's Going On?

In my dreams, I saw a school library

under lock and key.

A teacher hiding behind

a knee-length tree,

staring at kids wearing in hippie.

****

I saw a devil bumping in a ring,

I saw a poster reading:

"Hope renewal with rifle and gun"

A riot, a queer sight.

All under siege!

****

I saw a kid holding a rifle,

shouting "revenge, revenge "

I saw two deputies on a see-saw

chatting, taking a selfie!

I saw Law deserting the constituency

****

I saw streets boiling, seething with skulls

And a little girl playing "Hang Man"

Drained bodies swinging, bubbles overhead

I read: "victims of insecurity"

I saw a mess!

****

I saw people carrying chains

sweating, bleeding, bleating

"terror is agonizing, agony is terrifying"

Then the crowd started beating the drum,

spluttering, stuttering, beating about the bush:

hush! hush!

****

I saw a mess! A wolf's soliloquy

A herd barking and babies

swaddled in white crying

****

I woke up in sweat, short of breath

moaning: what's going on? What's going on?

Is it a dream or reality?????

****

Gigi Mejri ©©

 

GIGI MEJRI


No comments :

Post a Comment