Saturday, August 1, 2026

BARBAROS İRDELMEN

 


 

Destiny

 

My fate was written,

everything set.

My mother’s pains began,

we are in a vineyard,

I am coming into the world.

They cut my umbilical cord

with a cleaver.

I screamed with all my strength.

They washed me with a jug of water,

then wrapped me in a headscarf.

They spoke among themselves:

who will take care of this one?

His mother died giving birth,

together with the cord

we buried her just now.

I had no fixed place after that.

Every winter night

I slept by a different stove.

There was rarely anything left

from what people ate.

When I went to bed hungry,

frozen windows

made my insides shiver.

Those who looked at my face

turned their eyes away

otherwise, I would read

what passed through them.

As if everyone had read their fate

before coming

if I had read mine,

I would erase my name,

break that pen,

and give up being born.

 

Kader

 

Kaderim yazılmış

Herşey tamam

Anamın sancılar başladı

Üzüm bağındayız

Geliyorum dünyaya

 

Göbek bağımı

Keserle kesti biri

Bağırdım var gücümle

Yıkadılar bir testi suyla

Sonra sardılar yemeniye

 

Aralarında konuştular

Kim bakacak buna

Anası doğururken öldü

Göbek bağıyla birlikte

Biraz önce gömdük onu

 

Belirli bir yerim olmadı sonra

Her kış gecesini

başka bir sobanın yanında geçirdim

Yediklerinden artan olmazdı

çoğu zaman insanların

 

Aç yatınca

Buz tutmuş camlar içimi titretirdi

Yüzüme bakan kaçırırdı gözlerini

İçlerinden geçeni okurdum yoksa

 

Herkes kaderini okuyup gelmiş gibi

Okusaydım kaderimi

Silerdim adımı

kırardım o kalemi

Vazgeçerdim doğmaktan

 

DAISY

 

A daisy in the meadow,

rinsed clean by rain,

content, assured of its own grace,

swaying in the passing wind.

Loves me, loves me not—

it will guide a lover’s heart.

A girl will turn her hair to gold,

someone will brew it into tea

and find a quiet cure.

 

Its fate is woven of such dreams—

to bring joy to the one who loves it.

Children arrive in the meadow,

running, bright with laughter.

An innocent girl, all joy, all light

and without knowing,

She crushed the daisy.

Her dreams were shattered.

 

In her final thought

she returned to her fate:

All my dreams were just illusions.

The girl was so happy,

she was laughing as she crushed me.

 

Papatya

 

Kırda bir papatya

Yağmurla yıkanmış tertemiz

Mutlu, cazibesinden emin

Salınıyor esen rüzgarda

 

Seviyor sevmiyor

Bir aşığa yol gösterecek

Bir kız saçını sarıya boyayacak

Çay yapıp içecek biri şifa bulacak

Hayalleri onun kaderi

Sevenini mutlu etmeli

 

Çocuklar geldi oynuyorlar kırda

Koşuyorlar sevinçle

Masum mutlu bir kız koşarken

Bastı papatyanın üstüne

 

Ezildi papatya bitti hayalleri

Razı oldu kaderine ölürken

Kuruntuymuş tüm hayallerim

Çok mutluydu, gülüyordu beni ezen

 

BARBAROS İRDELMEN

 

BARBAROS İRDELMEN is a poet from Turkey. He writes short, compressed poems that explore silence, tension, and perception.

 


No comments :

Post a Comment