Thursday, June 1, 2017

SCOTT THOMAS OUTLAR

SCOTT THOMAS OUTLAR

SPLISH SPLASH

I’ve been sitting out
life’s storms
forever,
it seems,
idly waiting
for the perfect time
to set out on the path
so as to not
get doused
while walking toward
the next safe spot
to settle into
for a dose of peace.

But recently,
by a stroke of luck,
or fate, or good fortune,
or maybe even
a karmic gift
rewarded in response
to choices of patience,
I realized
that some rain
is sent from heaven
with the intention to cleanse
all worries away,
and that with the right person
by my side
there’s nothing better
in the world than a shower.

Except, perhaps,
dancing with her
to the sound of splashing puddles.




JUST IN CASE

Just in case
this world winds up
someday as ash and embers,
let me have once dance
around this fire
with you all through the night.

Just in case
I fail to reach
perfection in this lifetime,
let me thank you now
for making it feel
as if I at least came close
once finally meeting you.

Just in case
my eyes go blind
from never finding the truth,
let me look
deeply into yours
so I can see
the closest thing on earth.

Just in case
your slipper shatters
when midnight bells start chiming,
let me kiss
your feet twelve times
to learn their form by heart.




THE ANKH OF LIFE

When it rains,
I walk to the park
and locate under a gazebo
instead of in the woods
as I normally would.

The bench where I sit down to write
has a pyramid
with the all-seeing eye
etched into it,
upon which
I place this sheet of paper.

So, consider this poem
to be blessed,
cursed,
or hovering
somewhere in the realm between,
depending on
your angle of
magical perception.

Whatever the case might be,
let’s all prepare
to have some wild fun
while casting these spells
out into
this world
of war
and peace.


SCOTT THOMAS OUTLAR

SCOTT THOMAS OUTLAR is an English speaking United States citizen, born and raised outside of Atlanta, Georgia where he continues to reside today. He hosts the site 17Numa.wordpress.com where links to his published poetry, fiction, essays, interviews, reviews, and books can be found. His work recently received three Pushcart Prize nominations in 2016. Scott serves as an editor for Walking Is Still Honest Press, The Blue Mountain Review, The Peregrine Muse, and Novelmasters.


No comments :

Post a Comment