Saturday, December 1, 2018

SUNITA PAUL


OUR POETRY ARCHIVE
FEATURED POET OF THE MONTH




ALICJA KUBERSKA: What does poetry mean to you?

SUNITA PAUL: What poetry means to me
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Poetry,
The best way to express my feelings,
To unwrap my inhibitions,
Outburst of my emotions,
Also teaches me in worldly dealings.

Poetry,
Means to banish war and strife,
Give freedom to each life,
To break rules and set free,
To aim what you wannabe.

Poetry,
Can save someone depressed,
Convey your love so far compressed,
Words can give solace and peace of mind
Remind of the memories you left behind.

Poetry,
Is a form of life for me,
When I get hurted by thee,
Its a shelter where I always long to be,
And helps a new revelation of me.

ALICJA KUBERSKA: What’s according to you the meaning of poetry in the contemporary world?

SUNITA PAUL: In today’s contemporary world, poetry is a stress buster,a relief from the hectic monotonous mechanicalLife.Poetry is shared worldwide to promote culture and literature and spread the word of love and peace across the globe. It has helped me deal with anger, frustration, heartbreak, headache, hopelessness, isolation, depression, and more. It’s helped me be human. That’s the true value of poetry as far as I’m concerned. Everything else is icing.

ALICJA KUBERSKA: Can you describe your creative process while writing a new poem?

SUNITA PAUL:  While writing a poem i just dive in the fantasy land and pen down all what comes in my thoughts and dreams. Sometimes I feel something is likely to happen and it comes out as a poetry.But generally i ink my heart ,my life experiences and surroundings give me food for thought and that's how the process of penning a poem goes on.

ALICJA KUBERSKA: Did it happen to you that a poem was just your dream?

SUNITA PAUL:  Yes it did happen ,once I wrote a poem which was just a dream  . I dreamt of my younger son who is far away in the boarding school for his studies as though he was ill and crying for me. As I woke up my pillows were wet with tears and my ink flowed in one of my scribblings.

ALICJA KUBERSKA: Tell us about your inspiration. What’re the most important subjects to you?

SUNITA PAUL: My inspiration is my late Mom'. She was a beautiful soul who loved to pen up her feelings in her diary . I was very much influenced by her and followed her example which lead me to the place where I'm today. Womanhood, Feminism, Life, Romance, Erotica are the subjects very important to me.

MARIA MIRAGLIA:  Which were the emotions that inspired your first verses?

SUNITA PAUL: It happened after a day or two when my mom' passed away . I was missing her so badly that I started writing some lines dedicated to her and this became my passion thereafter.

MARIA MIRAGLIA: Was your aspiration to become a poet or did all happen by chance?

SUNITA PAUL: My aspiration to become a poet started after I joined Facebook.You can also think that it all happened by chance when one night Deborah Brookes Langford,an eminent poet from USA, dropped by me and said she loves my scribblings and would like to get a collaborative poetry collection with her.I was always passionate about writing and since the day passions became my profession too.

MARIA MIRAGLIA: Who is the first person you read your poems to and why?

SUNITA PAUL: The first person I read my poems is my husband because he is my real critic.He understands me and my feelings very well so can easily point out my pros and cons. His honest criticism and fine appreciation also gives me a high.

MARIA MIRAGLIA: Have you published any poetic anthology, if so what did you feel the first time you got it in your hands?

SUNITA PAUL: Yes I have published two solo poetry books,one from the US and the other from India.Also a story book (collection of some amorous tales)is there in the stands..I have also three books in collaboration with Deborah Brookes Langford from the US and two with Dr Shivputra Kanade from India.I have been featured in at least more than thirty anthologies and edited twenty seven in the round. Now the number maybe overwhelming but the first baby is always special..So when I hold my first book Inked with love,it gives me a heavenly pleasure.It also happens when I get the first book published here in India,Careless Whispers makes me feel immensely proud of myself.

MARIA MIRAGLIA: Who are the poets you prefer reading? Do you get inspiration from them?

SUNITA PAUL: Wordsworth’s poems inspired me to write in a rhythmic way. He helped me shape up my identity and style. “Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart."I have learnt to ink with love from him.
I love Emily Dickinson’s poetry as well,as she says “Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul — and sings the tunes without the words — and never stops at
Robert Frost’s “The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep."
Langston Hughes still continues boosting my spirits high through his awesome poetry which speaks out loud.....”Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly."
When John Keats says, “A thing of beauty is a joy forever; its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness."
But I'm most influenced by Maya Angelou and her poetry.
“You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may tread me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise. “
These lines are my inspiration.I love her each and every poem be it, “I know why the caged bird sings Or”The Phenomenal Woman”.
She taught me,
“I’m a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That’s me.”

APRILIA ZANK: How important is accessibility of meaning to you? Do you challenge the readers to work hard to decipher your poems, or do you prefer transparency of meaning?

SUNITA PAUL: I write the simple language of the heart and try to reach each reader's soul with my scribes.I cannot express myself and my feelings in difficult words which needs a dictionary or a thesaurus to decipher.

APRILIA ZANK: What kind of poems do you write mostly? Do you have recurring themes, or are all your poems unique?

SUNITA PAUL:  I write generally poems on love, life and literature. My subjects vary often but I try to write on love or womanhood the most. Life gives me experiences which I experiment with my ink. Though I have recurring themes but my style is unique and that's what makes me different.

APRILIA ZANK:  Do you think your poetry is typically feminine / masculine? If yes, in what way?

SUNITA PAUL: Not necessarily my pennings are feminine but yes I do celebrate womanhood through my scribes

APRILIA ZANK:  Do you write mostly about yourself, or do you also have an open eye /ear for the issues of the world?

SUNITA PAUL: I write about myself and my life,my nostalgic past and present heartbreaks. I celebrate my being a woman, my rise and fall,my ups and downs of life and love. But yes sometimes the present scenario and the surroundings make me pen down some poems.It can be racial discrimination,women empowerment or child abuse,environmental issues.

LEYLA IŞIK:  In what way is your poetry different from that of other poets?

SUNITA PAUL: My poems are unique because they are inked with my heart,penned by love. They are reflections of my soul so you will find them unique from other poets. They belong to me completely me. I write generally poems related to my life or the experiences gathered so they cannot be found elsewhere. Life throws at me experiences which I experiment with my ink.

LEYLA IŞIK:  What are the main factors to make poetry real poetry?

SUNITA PAUL: There are no such rules or factors to make a real poetry. But yes some points we can keep in our mind as we ink with love,
Message
What message are you trying to get across in your poem?
What are you trying to say?
The message of your poem is the most important part.
It could be something as simple as your love of cupcakes, or it could be something more complex, like a relationship. Whatever it is, your message should be clear without stating the obvious or patronising the reader.
You can use visual language in your poem to explain to the reader what’s happening without making it blindingly obvious.
The layout of your poem can reinforce this message further…
Voice/Tone
The voice and tone of a poem is incredibly important and can change how it makes the reader feel.
Voice is important in everything that you write, and poetry is no different.
You could write something in a colloquial way, an old-fashioned way, a funny way, a serious way, a sarcastic way…in any way you like. The important thing is to make sure that the tone you’ve chosen fits the poem and the message you want to get across. Don’t write something in a serious way if you’re trying to be funny, and don’t go overboard with the jokes if you’re trying to be serious.
Rhyme Scheme (or Lack of)
Spread the word: poetry doesn't have to rhyme!
There’s a common misconception that poems have to rhyme. A lot of classic and well-known poems do. It’s true that if you want something that will stick in people’s heads or sound good read aloud rhymes help. But they’re not necessary.
A lot of modern poetry doesn’t rhyme, and it still works just fine. If you force your poem to rhyme, the reader/listener will be able to tell. The important thing in poetry isn’t whether or not it rhymes, it’s whether or not it resonates.
The important thing in poetry isn't whether or not it rhymes, it's whether or not it resonates
Form and structure
Some poets have their preferences for particular structures, others prefer to write with a lack of structure.
Write to whatever form fits your poem and writing style the best. It may take you several drafts of a poem to find the right form for it, but that’s ok!
Point of view
Whose perspective are you writing your poem from?
Are you writing it in first, second, or third person?
The perspective you write your poem from can dramatically change its meaning and impact on the reader.

LEYLA IŞIK: Do you think imagery is important in poetry? Where does the importance of imagery begin in a poem, where does it end?

SUNITA PAUL Yes I feel imagery is important in poetry. Imagery in poetry generally functions as the poem’s backbone or grounding rod because images are used to evoke a reader’s gut-level response. When the poet starts exploring the subject or the theme of the poetry to explain the background scenes then the use of imagery begins. In the summary the poet should use the five senses as imagery and end up well.


LEYLA IŞIK: What are the most used types of poetry in your country?

SUNITA PAUL: In India poetry is written in different regional languages with each poet portraying his/her feelings in the respective mother tongue language.The poetry reflects diverse spiritual traditions within India. In particular, many Indian poets have been inspired by mystical experiences.Poetry is the oldest form of literature and has a rich written and oral tradition. Patriotism,Mythological,Romance,Nature,Peace, Humanity etc are the main themes used in Indian poetry.

LEYLA IŞIK:  What’s important to be a good poet? To write good poems!

SUNITA PAUL:
     To be a good poet one can follow the simple tips:

Ø Choosethe subjects which attract you most.
Ø Write in simple words and use imagery in form of your five senses
Ø Find the best suitable time for writing.
Ø If you get stuck up somewhere while writing,stop, take a break,walk or listen to your favourite song or wash hair.
Ø Read a lot, revise and persevere
Ø Let your work be open to interpretation
Ø Keep writing daily
Ø Participate in as many writing contests without a care to win. We can learn from our failures too.
Ø Read out loud your poems
Ø Be ready for criticism
Ø Celebrate the ordinary and be choosy
Ø Write about subjects that matter to you

LEYLA IŞIK: Who are the most important poets and their main properties nowadeys?

SUNITA PAUL:
u Rabindranath Tagore
u Yeats
u William Shakespeare
u William Wordsworth
u Rumi
u John keats
u Pablo Neruda
u Emily Dickinson
u Tennyson
u Maya Angelou
u Langston Hughes
Some of the greatest poets of all times

DEBORAH  BROOKS  LANGFORD:  Understanding poetry begins with visualizing the central images in the poem. What do you see, taste, smell, hear, and feel? What is the imagery of your poetry?

SUNITA PAUL: I see the beautiful nature,god's creation and taste the salty ocean waters alongwith the pleasant breeze,smell pretty flowers hear the thunders roar and feel that I'm alive and being alive is awesome. In my poetry, I see human soul's cravings,taste my beloved's kisses,smell my loved one's fragrance hear mankind's cries and feel how survival is an integral part of our existence.

DEBORAH  BROOKS  LANGFORD:  What is the mood of your poetry? (Or How does it make you feel?)

SUNITA PAUL: My poems generally carry a nostalgic feeling whenI write romantic theme based poetry. It's all about melancholic mood. Sometimes I pen down the thoughts of a crazy lover who can break all barriers to reach her / his love. In some poems of mine there is a lusty feeling of the cravings of a beloved for the lover.It is an erotic mood. When it is non romantic then I generally write to inspire women in general or spread the vibes of love and peace across the globe. It's generally motivational or inspirational mood. When I write about something which agitated me somehow be it women molestation or child abuse or the after effects of war it is the anger mood which reflects in my poem. In some of my poems where I raise a voice in protection of environment or the nation,there is the protest mood working out. The mood varies from poetry to poetry and all depends on the theme, setting,tone and characters.

DEBORAH  BROOKS  LANGFORD:  In your poetry who is the speaker of the poem? Are you speaking to yourself or to others?

SUNITA PAUL: In my poems I generally speak to myself or about myself. Sometimes I do have a dialogue kind of set up in theme.

DEBORAH BROOKES LANGFORD: What is the message of your poetry?  What messages do your poetry convey?

SUNITA PAUL: I convey the message of spreading love and light across the globe and stop hatred and unrest amongst all.I speak my heart out and share the words of peace to one and all. Some poems of mine are written to inspire women empowerment. I also write to banish all evil and wrong beliefs and try to touch each one's heart whoever read me.

DEBORAH  BROOKS  LANGFORD:   Does the internet and social media contribute to the success of your poetry? Is this the reason you write for?

SUNITA PAUL Yes I truly agree to this fact that social media and internet is the main source of my being a writer today. I am successful as a writer and editor and publisher only due to internet especially Face book. Had you my dear sister Deborah Brookes Langford never read my poetry and come up with the idea of getting me published, I would never have taken writing so seriously. I owe my whole hearted gratitude to you forever. Later in India when Dr Shivputra Kanade came across my writing and wanted to publish me another turning point of my life came. I not only got name and fame but also I started my Publication House and now I'm helping budding authors get published.

NILAVROONILL SHOOVRO:  Thank you so much dear poet for the interview. We would like to know your personal experience with OPA as a literary web journal. Would you like to share anything more with our readers?

SUNITA PAUL: My personal experience with OPA goes a long way back. Deborah Brookes Langford introduced me here and i was featured regularly in every month's issues. Being featured here in OPA is a honour itself because our Poetry archive is one of the most esteemed e zine I have come across. The exclusive editorial board and the awesome dedicated team always brings out the best. Lastly it's all due to one person NILAVRO Nill Shoovro whom we call Nill , it's due to his brilliant idea and tremendous hard-work that OPA has reached such scaling heights. Being featured here is an honour always and showcased as the poet of the month gives you a feeling of high. I feel extremely elated and glad to have been bestowed upon this honour by Opa, Nil and team. My best wishes for more successful endeavours in the near or far future. Thank you.

Author, editor and a publisher, Sunita Paul hails from the city of joy Kolkata. Mother of two sons, she lives with her husband. Sunita is recipient of several awards of high distinction both from India and abroad. Felicitated at different literary events, Sunita has authored six books and edited more than thirty anthologies. Recently she has ventured into Publication and AABS PUBLISHING HOUSE is now shining in all places .

3 comments :

  1. excellent interview.the questions and the replies are brilliant,i am speechless.wish her a grand success.god bless her pen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A highly organized interview ... It's all about a journey from housewife to author turned publisher ... Wishing you a stupendous success. Hearty congratulations Sunita !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sunita, first of all.. I love you and your poetry I always have and thank you for referring to me in your questions.. its been an honor to know you and to help you get published.. you are a joy to know and I am blessed knowing you .. Many more blessings are coming your way I know it..
    Author Deborah Brooks Langford

    ReplyDelete