Tuesday, January 1, 2019

SCOTT THOMAS OUTLAR



SCOTT THOMAS OUTLAR

GRAND SLAM OF THE SOUL

I don’t have one foul note to pitch
against anything or anyone anymore…
at least for today.

The government continues to do its thing,
and so I pay
taxes
on bread and butter
unto the grave.
Maybe my rage will return
the moment they start trying
to charge for each breath
that enters these lungs.
But right now at the park
the air is full of dirt
as a tractor drags the infield
to smooth out its surface.

I don’t mind
the conditions
at all;
there are no bad hops
in my heart
at this time.
I’ll return to dust and ash
in the end;
might as well enjoy some peace
while I can.

The politicians throw their curves
into the system,
and all those in attendance
stand on their side of the line
casting red and blue stones
back and forth.
But I’m like a child
feigning ignorance
while reclaiming my innocence
as I wander around in the grass
near the fence
chasing butterflies
to and fro.

At the crack of the bat
I’ll focus my eyes anew
to locate the ball
just before it falls
so I can dive with a slide
for the catch,
and then lay on my back
until the final out of the contest
to watch clouds
drift through the sky
high above.

I’m like a kite
caught in the winds
of worldly detachment,
caring not at all
about dramatic scores
that have been left
unsettled.
Everyone is right
in their own way,
so I’ll just keep writing
with a smile on my face
because there’s nothing wrong
with turning the other cheek,
choosing unconditional love,
and playing the game
of life
fair and straight
by nature’s rules
until the ninth inning
of existence
expires.
Radiant





TRANSCENDENT ENERGY

embracing ego
with soft hands
so as to nurture
its existence
toward the light

Ascendant vibration

allowing truth
to flow freely
without holding back
the absolute necessity
of transformative change

Evolution in a nutshell

breathing the essence
of holy hallelujah
into healthy lungs
that long to exhale
purity back into the world





DEADLIEST WEAPON

Because I believe
so strongly
in the healing power
of words,
it is always
silence
that hurts me
the worst.

SCOTT THOMAS OUTLAR

SCOTT THOMAS OUTLAR hosts the site 17Numa.com where links to his published poetry, fiction, essays, interviews, reviews, live events, and books can be found. His work has been nominated for the Pushcart Prize and Best of the Net. Outlar was a recipient of the 2017 Setu Magazine Award for Excellence in the field of literature. Selections of his poetry have been translated into Afrikaans, Albanian, Dutch, Italian, French, Persian, and Serbian. He has been a weekly contributor for the cultural newsletter Dissident Voice since 2014. His most recent book, Abstract Visions of Light, was released in 2018 through Alien Buddha Press. His show, Songs of Selah, airs weekly on 17Numa Radio.

No comments :

Post a Comment