Wednesday, August 1, 2018

ARTHUR TURFA



ARTHUR
TURFA

MY SECOND MEMORY

Blackberry and raspberry bushes in
several long lines at the back of our
acre, next to the peach trees and big shed.

In bright sunlight, the day not very hot,
my mother and I are out with baskets,
hers filling up, I eat more than I pick.

The berries’ sweetness amazes me like
nothing else had before. When I see them now
I remember a simple, sweet life.






DIPTYCH: THE WINDOW
AT PAZO DE MARIÑÁN. LA CORUÑA

I
Through the open window stream strong
sunlight, smells, sounds of places that

beckon me. I want to walk across
the lawn, ascend the stairs, explore

what is beyond the tree line. After
awhile  I will look back towards the house

to see how far I have come. If I see you’
in the window, I will return  at once.

But if not, the gentle breeze shall carry me
along new paths to the far horizons.


II

Eyes indeed are lamps to the
soul. Not only receiving light,

they illuminate what lies behind
them. Each day blesses me with the

light you have shared with me,
flooding me with warmth and wonder.

When troubled times surround me,
I remember the light glowing

from the distance. Nothing can ever
diminish that light, nor extinguish it.

Continued comfort, constant joy
may you find in my light to you.






THE LADY FROM TOMORROW
in memory of Allene Angelica

One day ahead of where I am
the Lady from Tomorrow told
of slender islands ringed with
pristine beaches set in
turquoise waters, warmed by
red suns. Her eyes had witnessed
so much of life yet reflected
those whom she loved. Joy
rose from her words whether
spoken to all or to you.
Somehow she remains ahead
of where I am, in a Tomorrow
that knows neither sunrise nor
sunset, where light reflects on
those beaches and waters
encircling the island.

© 2018
ARTHUR TURFA

ARTHUR TURFA has lived in the Midlands of South Carolina for 13 years. His poetry reflects more and more of his current surroundings, but also includes places and people from where he has lied and traveled. His latest book, Saluda Reflections, was released by Finishing Line Press in July 2018. His previous books are Gemini, Broad River Books earlier in 2018, Accents , Amazon KDP, and Places and Times, eLectio Publishing, 2015.

No comments :

Post a Comment