Friday, January 1, 2016

SILAS ABAYOMI


Silas Abayomi
GOODBYE TO RUM:

Drink me not,
because I’m not for you,
touch me not that
I may not rub off on
your good character.

Do not look at the bottle
even if it is beautiful,
what you see is exact
opposite of reality;
taste me not
even if your tongue bud
ask you to do so,
I am bitter,
yes, I’m a hemlock.

Many are my colors,
red, yellow, blue, green,
and dark chocolate;
trust them not,
they are not colors of
life,
rather they are colors of
death.

Buy me not,
I may not drain you
financially,
drink me not that your
senses remain intact,
leave me to keep
cirrhosis away from you.



Stay afar from me
that you may not act
crazily,
maintain your distance
that your personality
remain same,
your character
untarnished, or soiled.

I say drink me no more,
because of untoward action
that my come from me;
a home I may ruin,
a prosperous future
I may jeopardize,
life I may cut short.

Set me not on your table,
place me not in a bar
chamber,
my place in your
refrigerator,
let some better
occupy.

Should you stumble
at me fortuitously,
cork me as quickly as
possible,
if already uncorked,
bobber me that no
one unseal me again.

Felicitate not with
rum,
your success-celebrate
with sobriety-
your joy express without
liquor,
happiness within you-
make known without
intoxicant.

Did you see me as an
escape route in trouble
times?
You are mistaken;
do you hide or display
your personality by
binge-drink?
It is a mortal error.

Do you love?
If yes, love me no more.
Do you drink me?
If so, do it no more.
Do you buy and keep
me at home?
If yes, say bye to me.

Bottles may look beautiful,
packaging may be without
fault,
advertisement may be too
tempting to ignore,
still leave rum alone,
I say keep away from rum,
run, run, run away from rum.

Silas Abayomi






No comments :

Post a Comment