Sunday, April 1, 2018

RYAN QUINN FLANAGAN



RYAN QUINN FLANAGAN

LOVE SCENES ARE JUST FIGHT SCENES WAITING TO HAPPEN

I remember seeing this movie with this couple in bed
and the whole thing was preposterous.
The man burned his lip with a lighter and his love interest
thought that was hot.
She climbed on top of him and began sucking
on his lip.
Then he licked her face like working over a lollipop.
It was ridiculous.
I could tell the actors had never met each other
which made everything awkward.
There was no chemistry there, no fire.
Love scenes are just fight scenes waiting to happen.
At least when they are done right.
Think Liz Taylor in Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
But this offering was stale bread.
And the director must have been French.
He kept shooting at all these weird angles as though
he had never been in a bedroom before.
All art, no passion.
I turned off the television and went for walk.
My head swimming with the thoughts of seven Olympic-sized
pools.






OPENING PANDORA’S DISHWASHER FROM THE INSIDE

The earth is flat.
My kitchen counter top
demands it.

And she is in one of her moods again.
Opening Pandora’s dishwasher from the inside.

You’re just a crazy man lying in the dark,
she hollers from the stairs,
you realize that, don’t you?

I start making a loud clicking noise
with my tongue.

Not helping your case!
she yells.

Throwing the covers down,
I scratch a growth on my belly
so the day will know I am itchy.

Sitting alone in the dark.
Like a park bench.






CRYPTOCURRENCY ME

At night I’m Amish
Look here, my dishcloth

Watch the son, he’ll imitate
Doesn’t matter anyway

Can I show my face around these parts?

Not this spotty Prufrock offering
you see,
but something I have been safeguarding
from the Crypto current

Amnesia across the hedge line
Get out the trimmers
Get out of hospital

By day you’re lopsided
Look there, a spider

Tomorrow is cupid
A week full of arrows.

RYAN QUINN FLANAGAN

RYAN QUINN FLANAGAN is a Canadian-born author residing in Elliot Lake, Ontario, Canada with his wife and many bears that rifle through his garbage.  His work can be found both in print and online in such places as: Evergreen Review, The New York Quarterly, Setu, Literary Yard, Our Poetry Archive, and The Oklahoma Review.

No comments :

Post a Comment