Friday, March 1, 2019

RYAN QUINN FLANAGAN



RYAN QUINN FLANAGAN

HOW LIGHTS BECOME FIXTURES

And there you are…high above me
like some space satellite back from the provinces
some wretched bird of paradise with hard
talons illumined, one bulb blown out as though
we are all on our way

and this is not a marriage, though we have
been together as long; you will not divorce me
and I will not divorce you and we will stay together
like this on cold nights the window stays closed

I did not fancy you when we first met, I must be honest,
something about overhead lights makes me think
of failed annunciation paintings where the halos
dangle above like silly cosmic lightbulbs

but we have stayed the course and this
is how lights become fixtures, you up there
in the sinuses and me below burning a pot of rice
for the third time this week.





WHY I TEND NOT TO LOVE

An obituary, so impersonal
after all the hair that has been shed
for a single spinning orb
and to get too high is to fall
into junkie’s embrace
and to get too low is to
come down off the mountain
knowing there is no god
but advertising
which can make you that
stiff lifeless blue only the mortician
and the art galleries find attractive
which is why I pick my moments,
why I tend not to love;
not that things should be earned
so much as stumbled upon
like startling a single grazing buck
when it is too late.





EVERYTHING BAKES AT 350
EXCEPT BURNING BUILDINGS

The fire engines parked sideways in the street.
Like misplaced cigar boxes shooting fountain sprays
of water at twin towering infernos.  The fire starting in one
and jumping to the next with bright orange hopscotch legs.
Screams from the higher floors.  The windows broken out.
Tiny firemen up the ladders like ants to sugar.  A woman
drops her child as some onlookers cover their mouths.
They are rubbernecking and want to seem concerned.
The buildings don’t seem to be concerned at all.
They creak and shift with a concrete Spartan nonchalance.
Not at all like a cake.  Everything bakes at 350 except
burning buildings.  And if I didn’t have somewhere to be,
I would likely be counted among the ranks of rubberneckers.
But the city is fashioned with many moving parts.  It is just
such a continuance that keeps things interesting.  Barely time
to stop at lights even though the law could be watching.
And they’ve cordoned off the streets.  Blue barricades and
uniforms.  This won’t even make the news.  So I guess
it never happened.  The buildings aren’t big enough
and the victims aren’t either.  I am late for my appointment.
My feet rushing ahead as though they seem to know it.

RYAN QUINN FLANAGAN





No comments :

Post a Comment