Thursday, February 1, 2024

MARIA A MIRAGLIA

 


 

She

 

She chases rainbows

in the cornfield

among the red poppies

 

 

Her golden hair

confuse with ears of corn

yellow like the sun

 

Clear is the sky and

the nightingales sing

among the branches

of the apple tree

 

Slow beats

the heart of the universe

and I smile

 

The Ink

 

I made the ink drop

 

from my desk

 

one day

 

and the teacher hard hit

 

with a wand my hand

 

she could teach me instead

 

how to lift the bottle

 

and place it in the right place

 

 

 

Wounded and peeved

 

I didn't shed a tear

 

and in silence I stayed

 

until the sound of the school bell

 

 

 

Back home

 

I told my mom

 

that one day

 

I would have been a teacher but

 

fair and good

 

No Time For Dreams

 

My life was taken away

 

not because of bombings

 

as for the children in Gaza

 

Iraq or Syria

 

 

 

I lived in a peaceful land

 

where sun shines

 

from morning till night

 

but thrown off a balcony

 

after games never played before

 

 

 

I liked playing with my dolls

 

and friends down in the courtyard

 

but met his devilish eyes

 

his hands big and strong

 

 

 

Now they call him the child molester

 

and keep seeking him anywhere

 

only I know that man is there

 

still a friend with Mom and Dad

 

 

 

Out in the mornings

 

anew he goes on

 

receiving greetings

 

and smiling at children

 

I cry out loud his name

 

from here

 

no one down there

 

can hear

 

 

 

A child of six, I was

 

that had no time for dreams

 

MARIA A MIRAGLIA

 

Dr MARIA A MIRAGLIA is an Italian educationist, bilingual poet, translator, essayist, and ministerial lecturer for English language teachers. For a long time, she has been an active member of Amnesty International and several other peace organizations. The author is the Literary Director of the P. Neruda Association and a member of several international editorial boards. She has received a lot of international awards. Last year, she was elected a member of the European Academy of Science and Arts - Salzburg. Her latest work is Colourful Butterflies, also edited in her native language.

 


No comments :

Post a Comment