Thursday, February 1, 2024

PETROUCHKA ALEXIEVA

 

 

The Flute Of My Childhood

 

I can hear at night

The flute from my childhood.

From the place I come.

This is my native sound,

The melody in my heart.

 

I Wish To Come Back

(childhood ends one day)

 

Little happy caterpillar on the stem

and ladybugs on the glorious

China rose petals

climbing all the way to the terrace

that burst vigorous scent

in the morning.

 

Mom was sitting on the bench.

weaving her magic into tiny knots

of a very new crispy-white doily

while chatting with the next-door neighbors.

They shared small daily worries;

what happened or what did not

here and there…

 

Mom was entwining with her hands

one talk into one knot and then

into another; and again,

one talk into one knot and another…

Repeating all to the end.

 

In the early evening,

a happy bunch of noisy kids

used to gather jumping through a rope.

We played ball, hide-and-seek,

or chased fireflies in the worm summer nights.

Later on, all fathers one after another

whistled to us to come home. Yap!

We used to call it

“Our fathers’ midnight serenâda”

we were the kids; they were the adults. So…

 

There was no internet, no cell phones,

only a simple joyful dinner in front

of a black-and-white TV.

Mom used to sing. Dad used to set

his bike for the next day

right in the corner, close to the door.

He always argued about something

that was said in the latest news report.

 

I went to sleep dreaming

to grow and become an adult

with no play-time restrictions.

 

Back then, this was my happy and simple childhood.

I did not feel how my dream came true,

And the careless days came to the end.

Now, here I am...an adult

and a mail-man with bills takes his part.

So, when I go to sleep every night,

I wish to come back to this careless time

and never to grow up. Fact!

 

Oh, my childhood friends, back me up!

Who will argue with me? C’est la vie!

 

 

Kiss From My Childhood

 

It is the precious kiss in my butterfly childhood -

The kiss that I always desire, innocent, shy and beautiful;

And by which all my life was inspired.

 

We were two neighboring kids - he was five, I was six.

It was a kiss very quick, no discussion.

I still feel on my chick this innocent passion.

 

I know that he still loves me! I have million butterflies’ insight

When he comes home every night;

When he plays ‘hide-and-seek’ with our beautiful child.

 

I know, he still wants me like he’s wanted me once THEN!

His innocent, beautiful kiss started a fire. 

I still madly desire this grown-up busy man.

 

Watermelon Summer Nights

It’s a harvesting time.

In our small town, the end of each summer

Comes with plenty of velvety nights.

Parents become one more time

Little girls and boys carving watermelons,

Eating the flesh of the fruit from inside

Just with a spoon. Their children are jumping around

Inpatient, warring not to be late for the fun.

 

Flocks of kids run on the streets

With lanterns in their hands

Made from large watermelons

And candles burning inside.

Some carry sparkling jars full of fireflies.

 

Happy kids lighten the streets,

Stopping at each other’s house.

Neighbors switch off the lights

To enjoy these funny creations of art.

 

There must be some magic in the hanging ropes

Moms and dads turn into best parents of all.

Only in this time of the year,

Moms are not calling for dinner.

It seems that the time disappears.

The clocks are not working well (Of course!)

Nobody goes to sleep early in the end of summer.

The whole neighborhood has incredible fun.

 

Oh, yes! Even dough I am a long-time adult,

Tonight on my front porch, I set a watermelon lantern

And switched off the lights, just in case

My childhood runs by. But this is secret, all right?

 

PETROUCHKA ALEXIEVA

 

Miss PETROUCHKA ALEXIEVA: “You must face life obstacles with strength and dedication, but healthy dosage of humor is the best weapon to survive” (P. Alexieva). Ms Alexieva is known as a well-developed LOVE poetry and a feminist writer, a guest-lecturer, academic mentor, key note speaker, TV talent and a highly recognized scholar. She was first published at age of 16 in the national poetry magazine “Rodna Rech”, Bulgaria. She is a Cum Laude graduate at CSULA (2009) and “All American Scholar Award“recipient (2008). She is a life-time member of four distinguished scholar societies. Ms. Alexieva’s poems appeared every Wednesday on ”Daheli Live!”  TV show. Ms. Alexieva speaks 8+ languages. Her literary, scholarly and photo-documentaries were highlighted in academic publishing, anthologies, feminist magazines, newspapers, opening ceremonies and numerous open mics in USA, Australia, Hungary, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria. Her lectures and poetry writings include, but not limited to ethnic cultures, ethnomusicology, and Japanese Tanka, as well. Most of them relates to women in traditional perspective, gender identity and contemporary feminism. She worked tirelessly with gifted and talented children – in ICAF, NASA, Visa Olympics and more. For her outstanding life-long honorary achievements, Ms. Alexieva’s name was included two times among the most distinguished Earth’s citizens list of NASA’s Mars Exploration Rover (2003) capsule and Science Laboratory Rover (2011) list, for which she has awarded with honorable certificates, as well. Her poem “My Gypsy Soul” dedicated to Sally Ride, the first American female astronaut, was recently selected for “Message in the Bottle" program of NASA's Europa Clipper Mission.

 


No comments :

Post a Comment